Scherwiller: Wine borough
As a town of approximately 3,000 inhabitants, located on the wine trail and at an altitude of 185 metres, its name is mentioned very early on as “Sceravillare” or “Scerwiller”, designating the hamlet on the banks of the river Scheer, name formerly given to the river that runs through the village, which is now known as Aubach.
Scherwiller is established at the crossing of two main Roman roads: in the West-East direction, the salt road from the valley of Villé and in the North-South direction, a Roman road of which you can admire two mile stones present in the town’s local area. This strategic geographical situation led to the construction of the Ortenbourg castle during the 12th century.
Located at the very heart of Alsace, the village is built in the middle of a 461 hectare vineyard that expands from the hill slopes below the prestigious castle to the plain of Alsace.
Scherwiller and its vineyard have witnessed numerous historical facts over the centuries:
- objects from the Neolithic era (weapons, arrowheads, axes, cut flints) were found among the vines.
- according to the legend, Sainte Odile was born around 660 and spent her childhood in Scherwiller (Sainte Odile chapel to be visited in the village).
- the first written evidence relating to the vineyard of Scherwiller dates back to 888, when the empress Richarde offered the tithe for the wine harvest to the convent of Gegenbach (Germany).
- The Rustauds war took place in 1525, during which the revolted peasants were massacred by the troops of the Duke of Lorraine.
- more recently, Alsace was marked by the conflicts that opposed Germany and France, during which the village changed nationality several times.